Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A TRIBUTE TO THOSE WHO SERVE TO KEEP US SAFE




I wish you could see the sadness of a business man as his livelihood
goes up in flames, or that family returning home, only too find their
house & belongings damaged or lost for good.

I wish you could know what it is like to search a burning bedroom
for trapped children, flames rolling above your head, your palms & knees
burning as you crawl, the floor sagging under your weight
as the kitchen below burns.
I wish you could comprehend a wife's horror at 3am as I check her
husband, of 40 years, for a pulse & find none. I start CPR anyway,
 hoping to bring him back, knowing intuitively it is too late. But
wanting his wife & family to know everything possible was done
too try too save his life.
I wish you knew the unique smell of burning insulation, the taste of
soot-filled mucous, the feeling of intense heat through your turnout
gear, the sound of flames crackling, the eeriness of being able to see
 absolutely nothing in dense smoke--sensations that I've
 become too familiar with.

I wish you could understand how it feels to go to work in the morning
after having spent most of the night, hot & soaking wet at
 multiple alarm fire.
                                     I wish you could read my mind as I respond to a building fire.
"Is this a false alarm or a working fire? How is the building
constructed? What hazards await me? Is anyone trapped?"
Or to an EMS call, "What is wrong with the patient? Is it
life-treating? Is the caller really in distress or is he waiting
for us with a 2x4 or a gun?"
I wish you could be in the emergency room as a doctor pronounces
dead the beautiful five-year old girl that I have been trying too save
during the past 25 minutes. Who will never go on her first date
or say the words, "I love you mommy" again.

I wish you could know the frustration I feel in the cab of the
engine or my personal vehicle, the driver with his foot pressing
down hard on the pedal, my arm tugging again & again at the air
horn chain, as you fail to yield the right of way at an intersection
or in traffic. When you need us however, your first comment
 upon arrival will be, "It took forever to get here!"
I wish you could know my thoughts as I help extricate a girl
of teenage years from the remains of her automobile. "What if
this was my sister, my girlfriend or a friend? What are her
 parents reaction going to be when they opened the door to
find a police officer with hat in hand?"
I wish you could know how it feels to walk in the back door
and greet my parents & family, not having the heart to tell them that
 I nearly did not come back from the last call.

I wish you could feel the hurt as people verbally, & sometimes
physically, abuse us or belittle what I do, or as they express their
attitudes of "It will never happen to me."
I wish you could realize the physical, emotional & mental
drain or missed meals, lost sleep & forgone social activities,
in addition to all my eyes have seen.

I wish you could know the brotherhood & self-satisfaction of
helping save a life or preserving someone's property, or being
able to be there in time of a crisis, or creating
order from total chaos.
I wish you could understand what it feels like to have a little
boy tugging at your arm & asking, "Is mommy okay?" Not
even being able to look in his eyes without tears from your
own & not knowing what to say. Or to have to hold back a
long time friend who watches his buddy having rescue
 breathing done on him as they take him away in the
ambulance. You know all along he did not have his seat
belt on. A sensation that I have become too
familiar with.
Unless you have lived with this kind of life, you will never
truly understand or appreciate who I am, who we are, or what
our job really means to mean us. I wish you could, though.

Appreciate & support the local volunteer fire firefighters, police
officer, & EMS workers in your area. One day they'll probably
 be saving your property or your own life.
~Author Unknown~

Designed by
Stella

No comments:

Post a Comment