Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Dance Of A Lifetime






 

In the summer recess between freshman and
sophomore years in college, I was invited to
be an instructor at a high school leadership
camp hosted by a college in Michigan. I was
already highly involved in most campus activities,
and I jumped at the opportunity.

 
About an hour into the first day of camp,
amid the frenzy of icebreakers and forced
interactions, I first noticed the boy under the
tree. He was small and skinny, and his obvious
discomfort and shyness made him appear
frail and fragile. Only 50 feet away, 200 eager
campers were bumping bodies, playing, joking
and meeting each other, but the boy under the
tree seemed to want to be anywhere other
than where he was. The desperate loneliness
he radiated almost stopped me from approaching
him, but I remembered the instructions from
the senior staff to stay alert for campers who
might feel left out.

 
As I walked toward him I said, "Hi, my name is
Kevin and I'm one of the counselors. It's nice
to meet you. How are you?"

In a shaky, sheepish voice he reluctantly
answered, "Okay, I guess."
 
I calmly asked him if he wanted to join the
activities and meet some new people. He
quietly replied, "No, this is not really my thing."
 
 
I could sense that he was in a new world,
that this whole experience was foreign to him.
But I somehow knew it wouldn't be right to
push him, either. He didn't need a pep talk,
he needed a friend. After several silent
moments, my first interaction with the boy
under the tree was over.


At lunch the next day, I found myself leading
camp songs at the top of my lungs for 200
of my new friends. The campers were eagerly
participated. My gaze wandered over the
mass of noise and movement and was
caught by the image of the boy from under
the tree, sitting alone, staring out the window.
I nearly forgot the words to the song I
was supposed to be leading. At my first
opportunity, I tried again, with the same
questions as before: "How are you doing?
Are you okay?"

 To which he again replied, "Yeah, I'm alright. I
just don't really get into this stuff".
 
As I left the cafeteria, I too realized this was
going to take more time and effort than I had
thought - if it was even possible to get through
to him at all.


That evening at our nightly staff meeting, I made
my concerns about him known. I explained to
my fellow staff members my impression of him
and asked them to pay special attention and
spend time with him when they could.
 
 
The days I spend at camp each year fly by
faster than any others I have known. Thus,
before I knew it, mid-week had dissolved into
the final night of camp and I was chaperoning
the "last dance". The students were doing all
they could to savor every last moment with
their new "best friends" - friends they would
probably never see again.
 
 As I watched the campers share their
parting moments, I suddenly saw what would
be one of the most vivid memories of my life.
The boy from under the tree, who stared blankly
out the kitchen window, was now a shirtless
dancing wonder. He owned the dance floor
as he and two girls proceeded to cut up a rug.
I watched as he shared meaningful, intimate time
with people at whom he couldn't even look just
days earlier. I couldn't believe it was him.
In October of my sophomore year, a late-night
phone call pulled me away from my chemistry
book. A soft-spoken, unfamiliar voice asked
politely, "Is Kevin there?"
 
"You're talking to him. Who's this?"


"This is Tom Johnson's mom. Do you remember
Tommy from leadership camp?
 
The boy under the tree. How could I not
remember?
  
"Yes, I do", I said. "He's a very nice young

man. How is he?"

An abnormally long pause followed, then Mrs.
Johnson said, "My Tommy was walking home
from school this week when he was hit by a
car and killed." Shocked, I offered my condolences.
 
 "I just wanted to call you", she said, "because
Tommy mentioned you so many times. I wanted
you to know that he went back to school this fall
with confidence. He made new friends. His grades
went up. And he even went out on a few dates.
I just wanted to thank you for making a difference
for Tom. The last few months were the best
few months of his life."
 

                                In that instant, I realized how easy it is to give
a bit of yourself every day. You may never know
how much each gesture may mean to someone
else. I tell this story as often as I can, and
when I do, I urge others to look out for their own
"boy under the tree."
~by David Coleman and Kevin Randall~

Designed by
Stella

No comments:

Post a Comment