Thursday, April 21, 2011

Seize The Moment





I have a friend who lives by a three-word 
philosophy: Seize the moment. Just possibly, she 
may be the wisest woman on this planet.


Too many people put off something that brings 
them joy just because they haven't thought about 
it, don't have it on their schedule, didn't know it 
was coming or are too rigid to depart from their 
 routine


I got to thinking one day about all those women 
on the Titanic who passed up dessert at dinner 
that fateful night in an effort to cut back. From 
then on, I've tried to be a little more flexible.


How many women out there will eat at home 
because their husband didn't suggest going out 
to dinner until after something had been thawed? 
Does the word "refrigeration" mean nothing to 
you?


How often have your kids dropped in to talk and 
 sat in silence while you watched Jeopardy on 
television?


I cannot count the times I called my sister and 
     said, "How about going to lunch in a half hour?"  
                         She would gasp and stammer, "I can't."

Check one:
"I have clothes on the line."
"My hair is dirty."
"I wish I had known yesterday."
"I had a late breakfast".
"It looks like rain".


And my personal favorite: "It's Monday".
She died a few years ago. We never did have 
lunch together.


Because Americans cram so much into their lives, 
 we tend to schedule our headaches. We live on a 
sparse diet of promises we make to ourselves 
when all the conditions are perfect. We'll go back 
and visit the grandparents when we get Stevie 
toilet-trained. We'll entertain when we replace the 
living-room carpet. We'll go on a second 
honeymoon when we get two more kids out of 
college.


Life has a way of accelerating, as we get older. 
 The days get shorter, and the list of promises to 
ourselves gets longer. One morning, we awaken, 
and all we have to show for our lives is a litany of 
"I'm going to," "I plan on" and "Someday, when 
things are settled down a bit."


When anyone calls my 'seize the moment' friend, 
 she is open to adventure and available for trips. 
She keeps an open mind on new ideas. Her 
enthusiasm for life is contagious. You talk with 
her for five minutes, and you're ready to trade 
your bad feet for a pair of Roller blades and skip 
an elevator for a bungee cord.


My lips have not touched ice cream in 10 years. I 
 love ice cream. It's just that I might as well apply 
it directly to my hips with a spatula and eliminate 
the digestive process. The other day, I stopped 
the car and bought a triple-decker. If my car had 
hit an iceberg on the way home, I would have 
died happy.


Now...go on and have a nice day. Do something 
you WANT to .... Not something on your 
SHOULD DO list.
~Author Unknown

Designed by
Stella

No comments:

Post a Comment