Monday, April 11, 2011

LESSON OF THE BLUE BIRD!

 Lesson Of The Blue Bird
   



 One morning I was in the park,
Just as the sun was rising;
Few people then were up and out,
Which, of course, was not surprising.
I liked being there alone,
Although let me qualify,
I really wasn't by myself,
It was my God and I.


I was talking up a blue streak,
As I told God all my plans,
I also did not hesitate,
To make some prayer demands.
A Glorious God!  A Glorious Day!
And, oh, how glorious felt I.
I was content and happy,
I was so satisfied!
 I mused a bit about myself,
Yes, I think I've done things right;
I go to church most Sundays,
And often Wednesday nights.
I tithe with regularity,
Support causes I think just,
Buy Girl Scout cookies at my door,
And other things I must.

I like to hear the clink, clink, clink,
Of coins against metal,
When at Christmas time I drop some in,
A Salvation Army kettle.
I write a good check every year,
To The Cancer Institute,
And I make an annual payment,
For Easter Seals, to boot.

I pack up the old clothes,
That I no longer wear;
There is this truck that picks them up,
Delivers them to Welfare.
I felt so good about myself,
I felt righteous;  I felt proud;
I could always walk in public,
With my head above the crowd.
 

With that, I straightened up my shoulders,
Thinking, yes, I've done a lot,
God must surely love me now,
For sharing what I've got.
I think I've earned a place in heaven,
Where I'll spend eternity;
I felt very comfortable,
And I walked on happily.

Then I looked up and spotted,
A lovely bluebird in the sky;
A harbinger of happiness,
A divine sign from up on high.

I watched it circling in the air,
It seemed to stay with me;
My own Bluebird of Happiness,
Such a joyful sight to see.
 

Then, suddenly it stopped,
And hovered in the air,
I had no cover for my head, ;
It sent a missile to my hair!
Now, do not laugh at my distress,
At the lesson of the bluebird,
I got my due comeuppance,
I felt humbled and absurd.

God can't abide man's foolish pride,
That is the moral of my tale,
Self-righteousness is not of God,
And homes in heaven aren't for sale!
Author - Virginia Ellis

Designed by
Stella


No comments:

Post a Comment